Tuesday 6 May 2014

A Human side to the MET Gala.

My respect for Vogue went up a notch when I learned that one of my all time favourite photographers and bloggers, Brandon Stanton of 'Humans of New York', had been approached to capture some of his usual magic at this year's MET Gala.


Brandon not only shot a handful of intimate portraits of some gorgeously clad personalities but he also managed to squeeze out some sweet little stories - in true HONY style. View them all here: Humans of New York Captures the Met Gala.

Whilst they were all wonderful and each possessed it's own special quality (making larger than life figures seem just like you or me), I was mesmerised by image#8 shown below, the beautiful woman sitting alone on a bench in her elegant black gown, leather gloves and sparkling jewels. The caption says, “A few years ago, I’d probably feel pressured to be in there mingling. Now I just do what’s comfortable.” In the background you can just make out David and Victoria Beckham chatting with one another. I'm not entirely sure what it is about the photo that makes me love it so much, the stunning woman (who looks exactly as she states, comfortable), the powerful yet unaware celebrity couple in the background or perhaps I am once again in awe of Brandon Stanton, a man who never fails to capture something that truly moves me.

Image from Vogue.com, photographer Brandon Stanton


I've spent more time than I'm prepared to admit clicking through online red carpet photo galleries from Monday's MET Gala... all of the same people, the same poses. Of course I wanted to know who attended, what design they were wearing, who broke the rules, whether Kim Kardashian looked like a couch again. However there is only one gallery that I've chosen to share, only one gallery that gave me any joy. When I think about why (apart from my image#8 crush), I can't honestly say. Fashion can be fickle, I guess HONY gave it a chance to be human.

TLT xx

1 comment:

  1. You have hit the nail on the head with this post. Brandon Stanton is an amazing blogger and was a great choice by Vogue to capture this event and present it through a fresh set of eyes for once. Love the image too, there is something so intimate, yet not too intrusive, about it.

    ReplyDelete