Tuesday 27 August 2013

Dressing for a (wo)man.

I want to ask you a question. Do you dress for a man, or do you dress for a woman?

What repels Who?





















Unsure? I hope so, because I certainly am!

So how can we tell who we dress for? What are the characteristics of a man dresser and what are the characteristics of a woman dresser? I decided that the only sensible thing to do was to visit the blog based on the argument itself. The Man Repeller. Never heard of it? Well shame on you. It's one of the world's most successful fashion blogs and if you take a quick trip over to the website, you'll understand why. Intelligent writing, intriguing topics, delivered with both sarcasm and wit. It is by far the most entertaining and satisfying fashion fix on the net. One of my favourite parts of the blog is the definition of "What is a Man Repeller?" Check it out, and make sure you read some of the hilarious comments after you've finished giggling at "My sweet lime green drop crotch utility pants..."

Did I come to any solid conclusions after visiting The Man Repeller? Well yes and no. I totally agree that there are some high fashion trends out there that men loathe. However I haven't met many of those men, personally. Sure I walk past loads of them in the street, as they leer after a woman in a low cut, tight little dress and completely ignore the fashionista in her bright patterned pants and matching sunglasses. But do I care what they think? Would I ever desire to dress in a way that would have them leering after me? HELL NO! So does that automatically mean I dress for a woman? And that I therefore couldn't care less about what my partner (who is a man) thinks of my outfit choices? Well that'd be another big fat no. I guess I'm lost again. Can't it be possible that some of us like to dress up for the viewing pleasure of those (male or female) who appreciate a little style and taste? 

Or perhaps we're not that shallow at all and the argument has never been about who we're dressing for. Is it really about projecting or hiding the way that we feel? Are outfits just modern day armour?


TLT

2 comments:

  1. Interesting thought...
    I used to dress for a woman, but have definitely changed to dress for a man sometimes. For example, I did buy some fabulous floral pants, which my husband hated, so I have never worn them since. Sad but true. Tata floral pants, I'll see you on the girls only trips I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry Bessie, I know 'drinks with the girls' on a Friday night isn't a common occurrence, but hang on to those fabulous floral threads, because there will always be a time and a place for happy pants! Ps tell ST he needs to get with the times ;) TLT x

      Delete