Monday 24 November 2014

The gift of gifting.

I'm addicted. So here's an excitable rant outlining my Christmas shopping adventures.


I used to be a person that was lousy at gifts. I'd always leave it to the last minute (or forget entirely) and end up over compensating with a lovely but expensive present that I could rarely afford to give. Jokes on me, right.

I envied those who sourced thoughtful gifts (my Mum), who planned far enough ahead that they were able to order online, think about getting it engraved or even have something made!

But I'm proud to say that recently, things have changed.

Believe it or not but I have been brainstorming Christmas present ideas since September. I set out on a mission, to buy things that my friends and family would love and/or laugh at and/or keep forever. Along the way I was surprised to discover that I also thoroughly enjoy researching and sourcing products in shops and online for people other than myself!

I get excited just thinking about what their reactions might be as they tear at gift wrap to reveal their goodies. Wondering whether my gift will take them by surprise and hoping that I've found something even better than they could've found for themselves.

To take things to the next level I created a 'present spreadsheet', outlining where I bought items, their cost as well as the total spend for each person. It has seriously helped me to keep track of everything. If you have more than five people to buy for (and a sieve for a brain like me) then I highly recommend a spreadsheet/checklist system.


So OCD aside, I have officially finished my Christmas shopping!

Now I just have to wait till after Christmas to see whether all the crazy planning and anticipation actually pays off...

Anyway, to all those fellow bad gift givers, I have some helpful hints on how to try and turn your nasty habits around:
  1. It's never too early to start thinking of gift ideas
  2. Always set a budget (obviously this also helps narrow down gift options)
  3. Try to keep track of things someone says (in passing) that they need or would love to have
  4. MAKE IT PERSONAL
  5. Think of presents that have been gifted to you in the past (often people will give presents that they wouldn't mind for themselves... rarely someone gifts something that they hate)
  6. When you have zero ideas and zero dollars, try and make something yourself... think silly yet sentimental (I freaking adore these)
And finally, when shopping, if any of the following expressions suits your gifting state of mind then you should walk away immediately, keep looking and try harder:

It's the best of a bad bunch
I'm really not sure they'll 'get it'
I'm really not sure they'll fit it
This is the only shop nearby, I have to find something
This is the same gift I get for them every year

Merry Christmas... for next month (I'm mother f*cking early for once)
TLT x

1 comment:

  1. I'm envious, haven't finished my Christmas shopping yet - but you have inspired me to get out there and try harder and to find inspiration in different ways. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete