Thursday 12 February 2015

Knowing the rules and when to break them.

My original intention for this post was to compile a weeks worth of outfit snap shots, but I only managed one. Evidently I have to invest more time in this area..!

So, here I am taking a stab at 'man repelling', corporate style.

























Outfit: A sleeveless geometric print top, grey houndstooth culottes, black/silver round toe pumps and my boyfriends red G-Shock watch (because it was sitting right there on the bench when I was getting ready).

Now I know what you're thinking, and you're right, I don't have the height for culottes. But guess what, I love them so much that I really don't care!

The issue with clothing versus your own personal style is that you can't guarantee you'll always love the shapes, silhouettes and colours that suit you. At some point you're going to become obsessed with something that makes you resemble a man/shortens your legs/gives you massive shoulders/washes you out or even leads people to believe that you're not quite right in the head.

Now that I'm heading down the path of fashion styling I should technically practice what I preach - aka wear things that complement my body type. But there is a strong point I want to make here... and that is yes, you should have a proper understanding of what does and does not make you look good. But ultimately you should never hesitate to wear something that you truly adore.

At the end of the day if you love it that much you won't care what other people think and you'll feel amazing wearing it. Fashion is meant to be fun and personal style is meant to be about you. It is not a crime to mix it up every once in a while.

5 comments:

  1. Couldn't agree more with you comments - but you look good in anything. It's all about having the confidence to carry something off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you looks gorgeous in the culottes Miki!
    Blog idea: I think you should do shots of you wearing various styles of paper bags! You'd still rock it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait... did that come out right!!?? I DID NOT mean that you look like you're wearing a paper bag! I meant that you could wear a paper bag and still look fabulous!

      Delete
    2. Haha don't worry Bessie I knew exactly what you meant, it did not sound like you were likening my outfit to a paper bag! I will keep the idea in mind though, might make for a quirky photoshoot :) Also, you should send me your farming fashion shots!

      Delete